Makes 7 1/2 cups batter, enough for two full 8" rounds or one 9x13" sheet.
18.25 oz Pillsbury or Betty Crocker White or Vanilla cake mix (this is approx. 1 box + 3/4 cup cake mix)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup + 2 tbsp cake flour (NOT all-purpose flour)
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup melted butter (lightly salted)
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract or almond extract (optional)
1. In a large bowl, put water, extract (if using), eggs, melted butter and sour cream. Mix well with paddle attachment.
2. Add cake mix, sugar, cake flour, and salt.
3. Mix with paddle attachment at medium speed for approximately 2 minutes, or until most lumps are worked out. It is not necessary to work out all the lumps.
4. Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
clean, or with just a crumb or two clinging to it.
5. Cool for 7-10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto cooling rack. If you experience problems with sticking, you may wish to line your baking pans with parchment paper